Travel and Transportation
Air Travel: The closest airport is Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (code DCA). A taxi from National to the Westin or Marriott will take 15-20 minutes and cost around $20.
Other area airports are Dulles (code IAD) and Baltimore-Washington International (code BWI) — however both of these are much farther from the city (45+ minutes).
Rental Cars: Rental cars are not necessary for the weekend. The Cathedral and hotels are a half-mile apart, parking is limited and expensive, and the city is very accessible on foot, via Metro (the subway), or using taxis. As noted on the Wedding Weekend Events page, we will provide shuttle busses from the Westin and Marriott to the ceremony and from the ceremony to the reception.
Taxis: The airports and hotels all have taxi stands. Taxis are also easy to hail on the street in most downtown areas. Washington taxis are red and silver in color. Another alternative is Uber, an app that lets you request taxis or black cards from your smartphone. More information is at: https://www.uber.com/features.
- Nearby favorite Coffeeshops:
- Baked and Wired: Can’t go here without trying one of their cupcakes! Courtney, our maid of honor, used to work just across the street from this dangerously good coffeeshop and bakery! (1052 Thomas Jefferson St NW)
- Bourbon Coffee: Delicious coffee from all over the world and connected to some great causes. Beth has gotten free drinks here for tweeting about them! (2101 L St NW)
- Bread and Chocolate: Fun coffeeshop and bakery that serves other food as well. Beth and a friend studied Russian here sometimes right after she moved to DC. (2301 M St NW)
- Starbucks abound, here and throughout the city. Closest ones are 2400 M St NW and 2109 M St NW.
- Other favorite Coffeeshops:
- Le Pain Quotidien: 2001 P St NW
- Kramerbooks Bookshop and Cafe: 1517 Connecticut Ave NW
- Paul: 2000 Pennsylvania Ave NW
- Qualia: 3917 Georgia Ave NW
- Nearby favorite Restaurants:
- Teddy and the Bully Bar: Teddy Roosevelt-themed, small plate style restaurant with a fun cocktail menu. (1200 19th St NW)
- Mari Vanna: Fancier versions of homemade Russian classics — and a large selection of infused vodkas. (1141 Connecticut Ave NW)
- District Commons: The place where two of Mike’s favorite women (Beth and MaryClaire) first met! Upscale Americana menu with a view of Washington Circle chaos. (2200 Washington Circle NW)
- Founding Farmers: Co-op owned, eco-friendly, incredibly popular Washington DC staple. Last time the Owens took Beth there, John Boehner thought he would join too! (1924 Pennsylvania Ave NW)
- Boqueria: Delicious tapas, great wine selection, a nice patio, and an even better all-you-can-eat/drink brunch. (1837 M St NW)
- Other favorite Restaurants:
- Meridian Pint: 3400 11th St NW
- Florida Avenue Grill (for Breakfast!): 1100 Florida Ave NW
- Petworth Citizen: 829 Upshur St NW
- Le Diplomate: 1601 14th St NW
- Casual Eateries
- Shake Shack
- Taylor Gourmet
- Closest Sights to See:
- Georgetown Canal & Potomac Waterfront
- The White House
- The Lincoln Memorial
- Favorite Sights to See:
- The Newseum (555 Pennsylvania Ave NW)
- Smithsonian Air and Space Museum (600 Independence Ave SW)
- Library of Congress (101 Independence Ave SE)
- Rock Creek Park Trails
2350 M St. NW, Washington, DC 20037
RESERVATION DEADLINE FOR THE DISCOUNTED ROOM BLOCK IS 04/04/15
As our reception hotel, the Westin has made a discounted group rate available to our guests. Please use the below link to reserve through the Westin Georgetown. If reserving via phone, please reference the “Thompson/Owens Wedding.”
If you run into any issues or see that we’re out of rooms in the block, just let us know. We can work with the hotel to get more rooms.
Washington Marriott Georgetown
1221 22nd Street NW, Washington, DC 20037
RESERVATION DEADLINE FOR THE DISCOUNTED ROOM BLOCK IS 04/11/15
We have also secured a room block at the nearby Washington Marriott Georgetown just a couple blocks away from the Westin. Please use the below link to reserve through the Washington Marriott Georgetown. If reserving via phone, please reference the “Beth Thompson Wedding Room Block.”
If you run into any issues or see that we’re out of rooms in the block, please let us know.